The Graduate Program in Science and Technology Studies offers two distinct paths toward the M.A degree. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY IN ORDER TO DIRECT YOUR APPLICATION TO THE APPROPRIATE DEPARTMENT OR UNIT.
For those students with a background in English, History, or Philosophy:
Please apply directly to one of the participating departments. See below for deadlines and links to those Graduate Programs and follow their instructions.
When submitting your application, please clearly indicate in your proposal as well as on the application form that you would like to be considered for the Masters Research Stream in STS.
Please note, STS research streams in Sociology and Geography are currently in development. If you are interested in pursuing STS in these Departments, contact the Program Chairs for more information.
For students with a background in the sciences or other areas:
Please apply directly to the Graduate Program in STS.
Applicants must submit an online application along with ALL supporting documents by the application deadline on January 15th.
- Submit scanned transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions. In addition to the photocopies of all transcripts you uploaded within the application, you must mail two (2) official sets of ALL transcripts in sealed endorsed envelopes issued by the Registrar from all colleges and universities you attended. All transcripts (and degree certificates) must arrive at UBC in sealed and endorsed envelopes issued by the home institution to be considered official. UBC graduates are not required to provide UBC transcripts.
- Three confidential letters of reference on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Write a brief statement of your interests in Science & Technology Studies (max 500 words).
- Mail a hard copy of a recent paper (15-20 pages) preferably in the area in which you wish to specialize.
- Evidence of English Language proficiency is required for applicants from a university outside of Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction: applicants whose native language is not English must have a minimum TOEFL score of at least 80 for internet based tests or 550 for paper based tests taken within the past 2 years. Official TOEFL scores must be issued to UBC directly from the Educational Testing Centre. Applicants must ensure to include UBC’s institution code (0965) and give the reason for taking TOEFL “to enter a college or university as a graduate student”. All official TOEFL Scores must be received by Jan 15th.
Mail official transcripts, letters of reference and your writing sample directly to the department:
STS Program Administrator
Science & Technology Studies Graduate Program
University of British Columbia
BUCH E370 – 1866 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6T 1Z1