Geoffrey Winthrop-Young’s (CENES) research focuses on media theory and archaeology, posthumanism, biological models of social evolution, Science Fiction, and science and culture in the Third Reich.
Projects for 2015/16:
- commissioned paper on entomology in the Third Reich
- “Catastrophes, Ruptures, Recursions: War, Paleontology and the Autonomy of Technology” (for Theory, Culture & Society special on “The End of the War: the Half-Life of the Avantgarde”)
- a paper on H.P. Lovecraft and/as German media archaeology
- “Timely Matters:: A Story of Media at Odds with History.” A paper on the changing constructions of history and media technology in Claude Lévi-Strauss, Fernand Braudel, Michel Foucault, Friedrich Kittler and Wolfgang Ernst (completed)
- Keynote address at Oswald Spengler conference at Leuphana University, Lüneburg.
Geoffrey Winthrop-Young, Department of Central, Eastern and Northern European Studies
Professor (M.A. University of Freiburg, Ph.D. University of British Columbia)
Office: Buchanan Tower 227