The Graduate Program in Science and Technology Studies offers two distinct paths toward the M.A degree. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY IN ORDER TO DIRECT YOUR APPLICATION TO THE APPROPRIATE DEPARTMENT OR UNIT.
For those students with a background in English, History, Sociology or Philosophy:
Please apply directly to one of the participating departments. See below for deadlines and links to those Graduate Programs and follow their instructions.
Admission Information for the Department of English is here. Deadline for MA application is January 5th.
Admission Information for the Department of History is here. Deadline for MA application is January 10th.
Admission Information for the Department of Sociology is here. Deadline for MA application is December 1st.
Admission Information for the Department of Philosophy is here. Deadline for MA application is January 8th.
When submitting your application, please clearly indicate in your proposal as well as on the application form that you would like to be considered for the Masters Research Stream in STS.
Please note, the STS research stream in Geography is currently in development. If you are interested in pursuing STS in this Department, contact the Program Chairs for more information.
For students with a background in the sciences or other areas:
Please apply directly to the Graduate Program in STS.
Applicants must submit an online application along with ALL supporting documents by the application deadline.
- Submit scanned copies of original transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions.However, if recommended for admission, official transcripts are required and receipt of official transcripts will be a condition of admission. They must be received by: The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, #170 – 6371 Crescent Road, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2 in sealed, endorsed envelopes issued from the institution to be considered official. UBC graduates are not required to provide UBC transcripts.
- Three confidential letters of reference on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Write a brief statement of your interests in Science & Technology Studies (max 500 words).
- Submit a scanned copy of a recent paper (15-20 pages) preferably in the area in which you wish to specialize. It should be uploaded via the online system. (Hard copies will not be required.)
- Evidence of English Language proficiency is required for applicants from a University outside of Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction: applicants whose native language is not English must have a minimum TOEFL score of at least 90 for internet based tests and it must have been taken within the past 2 years. Official TOEFL scores must be issued to UBC directly from the Educational Testing Centre. Applicants must ensure to include UBC’s institution code (0965) and give the reason for taking TOEFL “to enter a college or university as a graduate student”. All official TOEFL Scores must be received by Jan 15th.